Tuesday, February 8, 2011

I'm hooked

  Before I begin telling you my resulting opinion's of Malcom Gladwell's Outliers: The Story of Success, I want to prep you on how it's going to be around here. My writing style is going to be very relaxed, very laid back. This is a blog, the language of blogging is to never be too serious, and I absolutely won't be. This is, after all, an extra credit assignment for my psych class-- not that i dont take that class seriously, but the only motive for writing this blog, actually sharing my ideas and gained knowledge, comes from the desire for the best damn grade in the class. Also, I'm aware that Mr. Gladwell is a journalist, trying to "sell" his literature. Like I mentioned, I'm hooked, but i'm also aware that this is writin merely to convey only what Mr. Gladwell wants me to know. Those tricky english majors, can't ever take them too seriously. And without further adieu, here comes my blog! Let's take it from the top!

  History proves valuable to psychologists in tracing back to causes of future events that later take some scrounging to solve. The description of Roseto, PA illustrated the fellowship of immigrants greater than a textbook ever could. The hustle and bustle of a homogenous race merely misplaced in another atmosphere showed no slow in pace. When Stewart Wolf was introduced, I was positive he would be our first outlier that would put Roseto on the map. I was suprised, as Wolf obviously was, at the death rates of Roseto residents. What on earth? Could it be that such a tight-knit cutlure held the cure to a long, lasting, prosperous life? Yeah, maybe proposterous. But when Wolf gathered more data from the residents' cousins, I was even more baffled. It wasn't the new food, it wasn't the labor, but the hospitality that their culture failed to surrender, and thus, held the key to their prosperity.
  It's a shame that this successful "Outlier" didn't catch on as a norm, or perhaps it died out among other parts of America because urbanization was so much more influential in creating a progressing culture, not a healthy, hearty one. It was, after all, the Italians who relocated here, not the other way around. Their secret never caught on, and it's a shame for optimistic students to see a rewarding culture die in a new country. However, this book isn't about cultures lasting, this is definitely not another history book i won't read. Outliers, as I'm finding out, is about the little things that go beyond expectations. The little head start, or the slight variation that makes all the difference.

1 comment:

  1. 1xbet korean - legalbet.co.kr
    1xbet korean. korean. korean. kadangpintar korean. 바카라사이트 bet. korean.bet. 1xbet

    ReplyDelete